Monday, October 17, 2011

Living in the Woods

I'm working on a project related to a high school senior who's living in the woods for a year for his senior project.  At this point, I have yet to meet the young man, but I have met and interviewed his mom and one of his teachers.  The student, who will remain nameless at this time, is quite an extraordinary young man - definitely an individual who lives outside the box.  I asked friends on Facebook and Twitter how they thought they might fare if they were tasked with living in the woods for a year.  One said she could do it without problem, while most others said they probably wouldn't be able to do it.  The student has heard cries from a fox at night and has found a copperhead snake near his campsite.  I know I wouldn't last the moment I heard or found either of those critters, and most of my friends feel exactly the same way!  In preparing himself for what may come to be over the course of this next year, the student recently attended a seminar at "Earthskills."  I made a trip there to see check it out - met some interesting folks - but did not run into my subject.  The student's camp is about 1 mile into the woods, and for those of you who know me well, you'll appreciate it when I say that I'm a bit leery about making the trek there in the upcoming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment