Monday, October 17, 2011

Overboard: Personal Collections and Behaviours

I have been working on a photography project for quite some time.  It began as my thesis project while in pursuit of my MFA in photography at the Academy of Art University.  This series of photographs features real people with their collections and/or behaviors.  I staged each photo using only items that belonged to the subjects (people) being featured.  The project is meant to be presented from more of a humorous aspect as opposed to anything negative.  Everybody goes overboard with something, though some do so to more of an extent than others.  With that in mind, everyone can relate to the imagery in some way - be it from a personal aspect or from the fact that they know someone similar to those in the photos.  The project began with a self-portrait, as I can most definitely relate to the overall objective of the series.  I have various collections, i.e., "Wizard of Oz" memorabilia, Barbie Dolls (most of which are still in original boxes), Precious Moments figurines, etc.  One of my more recent "obsessions" is with the color pink.  This sparked the completion of the photo seen here.  (No my bathroom does not normally look this way.)  It took a lot of trips in and out of the tub to get just the right lighting, and my neighbor was very intrigued as to what was going on in my house with all the "flashing" she saw over the course of the three evenings of shooting.

No comments:

Post a Comment