Monday, October 17, 2011

Overboard Part 2

While riding through Alabama a couple of years ago, I saw a field or "graveyard," I should say, of old Volkswagens.  I asked my husband Jim to pull over, as I "saw something."  He saw the cars but couldn't figure out what on earth I was seeing.  I explained that somebody had to own those cars, and I wanted to meet him...see if he'd be willing to allow me to photograph him with his "collection."  Jim never meets a stranger, and was up for the task of tracking down the owner.  He started knocking on the doors of the houses sitting next to the cars.  It only took a few tries and we were pointed in the direction of Bobby, the owner.  We drove up to Bobby's house, knocked on his door, and explained that I was working on a photography project - asked if he'd be willing to participate.  Bobby was more than eager, in fact he was downright excited.  He quickly slipped on his best bib overhauls and his shiny black shoes.  (I didn't ask him to do that...but he felt it necessary to dress up for the occasion.)  I took his picture while standing in the back of Jim's pickup truck.  I then printed a copy for Bobby, as we had my photo printer hooked up in the back of the truck.  Bobby was ecstatic.  This was one wonderful opportunity afforded to me in pursuit of the completion of my imagery.  Many more were to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment