Monday, October 17, 2011

Overboard 4


As I've said, I've met some wonderful and interesting people while searching for subjects to photograph in my Overboard series.  Another such person is Red.  Red was brought to my attention by one of my high school teachers Donna Joseph.  Donna was involved with the high school track team at Shadyside High School for many years.  She was a potential subject for my series, and I did take some photos with her.  In working with her for the series, Donna mentioned Red.  She told me that Red had been a track coach for many years in the Columbus, OH area.  Red had, in fact, purchased the house next door to where he lived in order to house all of the track memorabilia he had acquired over the years.  I was able to track Red down, and he very cordially agreed to allow me to photograph him in his element.  The resulting photo was staged in that house next door to where he lives - all of these items belong to him, and there was an obvious  connection to the color red throughout.  There are actually a couple of other rooms that cannot be seen in this shot.  These rooms are also filled with track items.  Red shares his collection with the current high school track teams, as he hosts gatherings at this property every year.  As you might imagine, the entire house is a great conversation piece and place to gather and learn about track history for these kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment